Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Time for Something New

Thank you for stopping by this blog.  
If you have been directed here and are looking for my shop, RobinSueQuilts,  click here.

This blog has become more of an archive.  I now post on Instagram at robinsue58 or you can see my quilts on my new website.

Someday I may return here, so until then...........


Wednesday, January 23, 2019

2018 Ending and 2019 Beginning

Busy, busy , Busy!  That's how things always are.  

2018 ended with lots of almost finishes, quilts moved from blocks to flimsies to being quilted (and now waiting for binding). I'm loving the Grace Q'nique15R.  It's been a challenge learning a new machine.  I think I'm getting the hang of it!

In the binding pile
Dear Mum fabric

June Quilt from No Scrap Left Behind by CrazyMomQuilts

Pattern Testing (Flimsy)
Snow Globes from @QuiltersCandy

T-shirt Quilt for a co-worker
60 x 60
Gray Corner has month/year quilted on it.

Backside of T-shirt Quilt
Quilting Practice

2019 has begun with only one bee and lots of quilts to be made. Started this year going through the fabric stash, organizing, deciding on patterns and diving right in.  Currently have 9 projects in the works.

Quarter Log Cabin Block for StashBee Hive 3
(So much fun!)

2nd Block
Why not!

Procrastinating so I made 2 more!
Just took off the frame (1/20/19)
Quick way to use layer cakes.

Lots of Xmas charm packs
Time to turn them into a cuddly quilt.

Xmas Stars!
More Xmas fabric that was hiding in a drawer.

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Catching up

I can't believe the year is coming to a close soon.  So many projects still in the works - but first.....

Custom cake for me! (@KTCakesBakeshop)

My birthday gift

First finish off the frame

Easy Loop quilting

A Call to Make a Change


  A Look at the Ever Changing Design Wall

Again, so many projects - all in different stages.  

Monday, June 18, 2018

Multiple Finishes

I have finally completed a number projects.  Quilts and bags.  Some quilts I have had in the works for several months (not the oldest WIPs) and others I've been cruising along steadily to complete.

I wonder why some projects linger longer than others.  Is it because I don't love the fabric or the quilt design?  Is it that I don't have a plan for what to do with it when it's finished?  Or is it because I have too many ideas and not enough patience to see one project through without starting the next?

The bags caused me to detour from the quilts.  I was in the midst of quilting the latest Halloween quilt when I decided I needed to make some end of the school year gifts - 1 week before school was out!

As soon as these were delivered, I jumped right back into quilting and finished these quilts.  Now these three quilts are completely finished, including labels.  Once they are washed, I will be sending them off to their new homes.  As each one is a surprise, my fingers are crossed that they are loved.

Back to the sewing machine!

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Drowning in Scraps

Scraps - they multiply when I'm sleeping.

After I cut for a project, I always have leftover pieces.  After collecting a small basket full, or deciding it's time for a good cleaning, I cut the scraps into a variety of sizes for future use.  About a month ago I found that the 2" square container was filled.  At first I thought I would just sew these squares together in a classic patchwork pattern.  The piecing evolved into 16 square patches. I remembered making the Scrap Jar Star block in a bee and thought this would be a great way to use these scraps.  The pattern also called for 3 1/2" square triangles.  I had plenty of 4" and 4 1/2" squares to turn into HSTs.  

Blocks ready for assembly

7 Strips ready for joining

First Layout

Top Completed!    
 72" x 84"    
Now for the backing.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Quick and Easy

Most quilts I make are twin size or larger, mostly larger.  I recently completed a quilt for my niece's baby who is arriving any minute.  I bought the owl fabric a long time ago.  Guess I was just waiting for the right recipient to come along.  Lucky, I also had the solids!

As for the quilting, I made circles using a walking foot.  After reading blogs & books, I used the advice of going slow.  I changed the speed setting to veeeeerrrry slow to keep me from speeding.  This really helped keep the circles from getting wobbly.

Planning to make this pattern again - only larger!


Sunday, February 11, 2018

Two More Finishes!

I'm excited to be able to cross two more projects off my list!

The first one, started sometime this past summer, is finally done.  Late for last Halloween and early for the next one.  Label ready to be sewn down, and then a quick wash and it'll be ready to use.

Displayed on a Full Size Bed

Meandering Stitch on Domestic Machine

This is a Magic 8 Ball quilt.  It is from two bees I participated in last year.  I added a few blocks to even out the blocks received.  The backing is flannel.  

Displayed on a Full Size Bed

Quilted on Domestic Machine

Stash Bee 2017 & Bee Hive Quilt Bee 2017

Off to finish another one,